Then why not volunteer soon at your nearest nursing home? Simply give the facility a call, ask to speak with the Activities Director, and then explain that you’re interested in helping him or her out in any way you can.
Here are some idea-starters. See anything you’d enjoy?
- Visit residents regularly to develop relationships conducive to sharing the Gospel
- Offer to read to someone who doesn't see too well anymore
- Conduct regular Christian services for the residents – a Hymn Sing or formal church service
- Support Activities by pushing residents to and from scheduled events, delivering mail, putting up or taking down decorations, alphabetizing the library – whatever’s needed
- Serve as a wheelchair pusher on field trips to, for instance, the zoo
- Lend a hand in the garden throughout the growing season, helping out with planting, fertilizing, dividing, weeding, watering
- Conduct a regular Bible study for two residents or twenty, using one of today's readily available discussion guides or favorite books, such as Phillip Keller's Shepherd trilogy
- Help with or develop a hands-on craft program featuring your favorite craft
- Get your dog trained in Canine Good Citizenship and visit residents who so miss being around dogs
- Teach residents the basics of email, one on one
- Do manicures
- Offer to shop for toiletries or nightgowns or whatever else is difficult for a facility-bound resident to buy
- Make and bring “just like fresh, only better” silk flower arrangements to selected residents
- Raise funds for Activities through your own social or church network – for instance, to sponsor indigent residents’ participation in a field trip or restaurant outing
- Offer to help with a task that requires a lot of staff time, but no special training – e.g., word games or Bingo
- Make it your business to identify individual resident’s interests, and then address those interests with books, videos, articles – whatever strikes your fancy
I can almost guarantee you an experience that will reward you as richly as it rewards the resident you call upon!